Wednesday, August 03, 2011

summer


Past Sunday we were hanging out with some friends and one of them said: "the first scent of fall is already in the air..." and it made me a little sad. My kids have had a great summer, though! There have been countless day trips to various parks and attractions, pools and parties, splash pads and play dates.

And Kaspar has had a lot of "first" experiences. He swam for the first time with "water-wings" in the deep end of the pool. Then, no more then a couple of weeks later he swam for the first time without "water-wings" in a river. I think he surprised himself! He just yelled: "Look, mom! I'm swimming!" And that was that. He really learned how to swim this summer. I think he has earned swimming lessons in the fall!

Kaspar also went to an overnight camp for the first time in his life! And that was a big step not only for him, but for myself, as well. I must admit that I was more worried then I should have been. And then, when he went and was doing great... when he hardly wanted to talk to me... I felt so forgotten, so left out!!! Being a parent is a funny thing... you want those kids to become independent and grow up, but when they do just that... you're left pining for that cuddle at night, for that little kid, who NEEDS you so much. I smile and take note! Letting go is not as easy as it sounds.

Of course, camp provided Kaspar with lots of first time experiences, but a couple are worth a mention. At camp Tervete (Latvian camp in the Laurentian's) there is a long standing tradition that boys invite a date to the dance on Friday night. I had prepared Kaspar for lots of the games and things that are done at Tervete (because I used to work there myself, when I was in my teens), but I had totally forgotten about that one. I heard rumors from other parents that some of the younger kids have a hard time with the whole "date" thing and feel shy and left out, when it comes to the dance. I waited ... and wondered... and worried a little... but then found out from the camp councilors, that within minutes of finding out about the "date" rule he had bee-lined for his friend Lidija and immediately, without any hesitation, asked her to be his date for the dance. So, Kaspar has had his first date and first dance at the early age of 6. Yikes!

No comments: