Monday, April 04, 2011

spring... there is nothing else like it

Yes. Spring is finally upon us. I have been waiting for it... of I have. And so have the kids. Kaspar actually had a "countdown". He literally was counting the days and the hours to the 7.21 pm on the first day of spring. You can imagine how brutally unhappy he was when we woke up to snow the next morning. :-)

Speaking of counting the days... a few nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night to some noise and discovered my sleepy son, walking around the house turning the lights on and mumbling something about having to check if things are still there... and then "I cannot tell you about it" and a little later "it has to be a surprise". He seemed really upset that I was there and it made no sense to me whatsoever.

It took me a few minutes, but I convinced him to come back to bed with me and cuddle. We needed to get back to sleep. It was only 3.45 am, after all!

Unfortunately for me, this is not where the story ends. Kaspar was wide awake (unlike me) and kept asking bizarre questions. Like "what day is it today?" and "if yesterday was seven days till a special day, then tonight, is it six days already till that day?" and so on... I was so sleepy that it took me a moment longer then usual to decipher the line of questioning. It turned out that he is counting down to my birthday. And once I figured that out all the rest of the pieces fell into place. He had been checking on the "secret place" of the "secret birthday gift" that he and daddy had bought and hid before daddy left for his tour. He still checks on it once in a while and makes me go upstairs to his room and close my eyes while he does it, but I did get him to promise me that he will not go checking on it in the middle of the night. He laughed very hard, when I told him that "birhday gifts cannot grow legs in the middle of the night and run away from their hiding spots." At 4.45 am we were still laughing... both of us!

No comments: